18.6.11

A Gem among Men: My Father

This is a Manly diamond.
The older I grow, the more I appreciate. I'm certain it has everything to do with the ever-increasing exposure I get to new people, ideas, places, things, etc. So today, I'm appreciating my dad. 

[i should point out that i also think the world 
of my mother, it's just fathers' day.]

I have always admired my dad. I think the main reason I'm not a chocoholic like every other woman in this world is because I grew up with a dad who didn't like chocolate. However, it's not been until I've met other men in this world that I've come to appreciate just how singular my dad is.

Dad is the definition of chivalry. He believes in women, he believes in their power, talent, and capability, and he believes in protecting that.
 

Dad is the first to sacrifice his wants and needs to help people out, whether they are family members, church or work associates, or members of the community. His happiness seems to derive from the selfless service he offers so often. As much as we goodheartedly make fun of his quasi-obsession with scouting, everyone acknowledges that his contribution has changed lives. 

I grew up knowing my dad could fix anything, whether it was a broken necklace or a personal problem, and he did. I think he got [gets] frustrated that we saw him as invincible, but he always seemed to step up to the plate. To this day, anytime I have a problem [a necklace lost down the sink drain, computer problems, nervous breakdowns, etc], I still call my dad, and whether or not he can personally fix the problem, he always knows where to direct me.

My dad is an Eagle Scout and a worthy priesthood holder. He's an accomplished and diligent project manager. He is a church and community leader. He is a volunteer. He fills all these roles and many others, but most important to me, he is my father. Thanks, Dad, for everything you do. I'm so proud to be your daughter!

No comments:

Post a Comment